Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Who Changed the Guidelines!

Ok, so today I had to go see my Dr so she could "discuss" my recent yearly bloodwork I had done last week.
Aside from needing my thyroid med changed (so I am less tired and sweaty, that will be nice!), and that my blood pressure was up a little (talking about weight will do that you know), we talked mostly about this:
Bad cholesterol: Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) / Good cholesterol: High-density lipoprotein (HDL) / Triglyceride (a type of fat found in your blood) levels
Most people usually have pretty good HDL (which is good) and not so good LDL (which is bad), confused yet, but me I'm a reversal, my HDL was too low, my LDL was still not good, and my trigliceride was too high- wouldn't you just know it,( you know where they do that test where they measure your waistline and if it isn't in the right range they tell you you're at risk for heart disease) she didn't even have to measure mine to know I was at risk in category! (Shame face showing now!)



Things were pretty much the same as they were last year except that HDL part, (although truth be told, last year's results were in need of improvement, but they weren't way out there) however somebody decided they needed to change the guidelines, and in doing so this now means that those results that were borderline last year have now put me in the "risky" category! So not fair!This means keeping the status quo won't cut it anymore.
 
Now she tells me I have 3 months to try to improve what needs to be improved upon through diet and exercise (and I soooo love to exercise,NOT!!), and if it doesn't improve then I have to add cholesterol medication into the mix. Three months (and during cold, wet, yucky weather months) to walk or ride my stationary bike and change my eating habits.








She said she should have bought stock in cholesterol medication pharmaceutical companies with this new guidline! Who knew!

Ok, so now we know what my New Year's resolution has changed to!

1 comment:

kyooty said...

you'll get it done!