Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Memory Fails Me

It’s probably mostly due to “old age” but if that’s the case then I have to assume by the time I reach my 60’s,70’s I will have absolutely zilch ability to remember people’s names! Maybe there is some chemical imbalance or something like that going on that is getting worse as I grow older.

 I never had much of a memory when it came to remembering History or Geography in school (which is likely why I hated those subjects with a passion!). And now that I am in my 50’s (early 50’s that is), I find I cannot remember names at all, not only the new ones that I recently get introduced to but I find myself searching in vain for names from my child/teen/early adult time frames. It gets exasperating really! Very annoying and very embarrassing too!



Sometimes a lightbulb will go on days later when a name suddenly "POPS" into my head of some name I had been searching for, then as quick as it came, it's gone again! (I really think I have a chemical imbalance!)




I could see people from my school days forgetting my name, as I was always that person who was neither in or out of “the” crowd, I always seemed to be on the edge, teetering, not quite part of the “inner circle” although not an outcast either. I was just there with them, though if I wasn’t around I would not have been missed! I was that person who people would say “Oh yeah, I think I remember her” but only if you showed them a picture but wouldn’t if they only heard my name.

1 comment:

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I do this too. As quickly as someone tells me their name, I forget it. Embarrassing, but I think I was never good at this. I'll bet more people remember you than you think...