Thursday, February 24, 2011

Silent Support

It is so hard to watch someone fall, and not be able to do anything but stand back and see the anger, watch the frustration and helplessness and pray it is the only thing there (instead of broken bones, bleeding or worse). But this is what I find myself having to do, first because I’m not always there, second because I’m not always able to hold them up, third because it is not going to go away.

 I need to be strong and not let the fear in me overwhelm me to the point of being overly protective. To not let them know how afraid I am each and every time I am not there for support, whether it is home alone, out with the dog, driving the car (pretty much everything).

All parents with young tots go through this phase at different stages of their child’s progression through life, unfortunately sometimes this continues on in much later years but much earlier than would naturally be expected with age. And it remains the same, the lurching, aching helpless feeling you have in the pit of your stomach, a feeling I did not think I would continue to have once my kids had grown up.

 Little did I know that I would have that same feeling for my significant other at this stage of our lives, when we should be out there enjoying our empty nest freedom (not that I have that at this point either, but that’s another blog in itself!)

No comments: