Friday, August 14, 2009

THUNDERPHOBIA

I read an article today about dogs that suffer from "thunderphobia",our dog suffers from this, although I had never actually put a name to it before. It is extremely hard to deal with, you can see how much he is suffering, but it is so, so annoying (the panting,the pacing,the look of terror!) We try to ignore him, we try to calm him, we try to take his mind off it, but nothing seems to work, just waiting it out and hoping the storm does not last long (although its not always from a storm as a gun shot or fireworks will set him off as well).

It's funny too as my son's dog doesn't mind the noise at all, my cat seems to love it, he sits in the open door and watches for hours.

I read some people use meds to calm their pets down, but I would think you would have to have them on it all the time as you usually don't know when thunderstorms will actually arrive, by the time I gave it to Goliath it would be over, and he does settle down quickly once there has been no more rolls of thunder for awhile. They mentioned ear muffs for dogs (hmmm, that one might be worth a try!)

Goliath and Zues-now that the storm has passed!